Saturday 19 December 2015

The Style Edition September Glossybox review

When the September Glossybox arrived I was really excited to try this box. The design is unique and jazzes up the usual plain pink box. There's also a rather nice quote inside the box which was a nice surprise to open to. Before each box is released Glossybox give you a sneak preview of their favourite product for the coming month. The full sized hair masque was the recommended product to look out for that month. Ironically, this is the only product that I had left to use.

                                       

However, when the September Glossybox arrived I was bitterly disappointed to say the least. I'd essentially paid almost £14 for a conditioning hair masque, an eyeshadow brush, eyeshadow, bobbles and nail varnish. I didn't feel like the usual price tag justified this box. Given that I bought a bag of 200 non-elasticated bobbles a few years ago I felt that it was unnecessary to include them in the box. When I first reviewed this box I arrogantly said that I wouldn't try out the invisibobbles as I already had so many. How wrong I was, they're unbelievably good! The invisibobbles are super stretchy (unlike my bag of 200 that I already have). The idea is that because they don't have elastic in them they're supposed to leave your hair straight and kink free. So the annoying bump in your hair when you tie your hair into a ponytail is supposed to disappear. Personally I don't think they succeed but because I have so many of them they're my go to bobble. I really like the invisbobbles as opposed to the cheaper alternatives that I already have. Hopefully the invisbobbles last longer than my cheaper alternatives as they are constantly snapping. The invisbobbles are thicker, stronger and stretchier. I love them! 

I was quite excited by the Bellápierre Shimmer Powder eyeshadow as I thought it would be the next Urban Decay eyeshadow. The grey colour that came in the September box was really pretty and it had the right amount of sparkle to not look ridiculous on the face. The Bellápierre Shimmer Powder promises that it will be long-lasting 'without any smudging, fading or creasing' but unfortunately I found that the Bellápierre Shimmer Powder seemed to do all three of those things and was definitely not long-lasting. I was really disappointed with this and for £12.99 it's just not worth the price tag. I used the Marsk eyeshadow brush to apply it (priced at £16.70) which the bristles were really soft on the eyelids. The actual brush end is quite chunky though so it's quite tricky to use and I have other and better eyeshadow brushes from AVON which I prefer.   

                                      

Out of everything I really loved the Nails Inc nail varnish in blush pink. The Nails Inc nail varnish goes on really well and dries super quick. The colour is a dusty pink which I don't usually go for but it does look really nice on. It seemed to last quite a while although it chips pretty easily so re-applications are necessary. At £11 though Nails Inc is pricey for a small pot of nail varnish so although I really like the colour I won't replace it when it runs out.

                                      

It's taken me a while to publish this because I hadn't dyed my hair until recently. When I was working away over the summer I came home sporting natural highlights after working outside every day. I've never had highlights before and I really liked the lighter brown amongst the dark chocolate so I was reluctant to dye it out. Since completing my master's degree though I'm sporting more and more silver hairs so it was eventually time to get rid of the highlights in an attempt to mask the silver. I used to pull them out (bad I know because apparently this encourages growth and as I have more and more silvery hairs I've stopped pulling them out) but when I left them in, my hair looked dull at the ruts. So cue a new darker hair colour for the winter months which gave me the perfect opportunity to try out the colour masque.

I never fully understand hair masque's as they're not a conditioner as such and on the back of the Maria Nila pot it states that you should follow the masque with a conditioner. The Maria Nila Luminous Colour Hair Masque is quite a large pot so it's best used if you leave it on a surface and take what you need from it. The design of the Maria Nila Luminous Colour Hair Masque is a screw top pot and then you have to pull the plastic lid off to get to the cream. Although the plastic lid comes with a small tab to pull the lid off it's really small and fiddly to use especially if you're in the shower. I had a bit of an ordeal getting into the Maria Nila Luminous Colour Hair Masque because the plastic lid and the cream created a suction so I couldn't pull it off straight away. I also over-estimated how much I put into my hand and ended up applying too much to my head. The Maria Nila Luminous Colour Hair Masque left my hair feeling really silky and smooth when I was applying it but as I used the proper conditioner that comes with the hair dye after the Maria Nila Luminous Colour Hair Masque my hair felt heavy and greasy. I don't feel like the Maria Nila Luminous Colour Hair Masque improved or maintained by dark look and it actually looks like my lighter brown colouring is already appearing through. I think you have to use the Maria Nila Luminous Colour Hair Masque  separate to a conditioner even though it specifies that you should use a conditioner afterwards. Priced at £18.95 for a large tub it's expensive and doesn't seem to do the job.       

Let me know what you thought of September's Glossybox or any of the products you loved in the comments below xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...