Sunday 14 May 2017

Rimmel London Super Gel Nail Polish in 071 Guilty Pleasure and Jack Wills Charcoal Nail Polish product reviews

I was in Boots recently, purchasing things that I didn't really need and of course took advantage of a 3 for 2 offer that was on. I had actually ran out of foundation but ever a sucker for an offer, I thought I would take up the offer and get some more nail varnishes, (not that I need anymore of course, I have every colour tenfold). Obviously the new Kate Moss range drew me in and I bought colours 071 Guilty Pleasure 015 Boho-licious which are both fairly similar in colour. 071 Guilty Pleasure is a metallic gold colour whereas 015 Boho-licious appears to be a duller version of the gold. There doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference in the colours but as I have only tried 071 Guilty Pleasure, I can't be sure of this.

I don't typically like gel nail varnishes as they tend to make my nails very brittle and fine. After too many applications or leaving the colour on for too long, my nails start to bend and peel. This happens with non-gel nail varnish but it's more noticeable with the gels. I have quite strong, hard nails as it is (which incidentally are long now which they never used to be as I used to bite them), so it's surprising that my nails react this way to gel nail varnish. I was however looking forward to trying out the 071 Guilty Pleasure by Kate Moss as I really like her Rimmel Collection and I have several items from this range. Not only did I buy 071 Guilty Pleasure for the name, but I mainly bought it as it was the 15th Anniversary range which I thought it was cool that it's been going that long.


I really liked the colour of 071 Guilty Pleasure as it goes on as a dull metallic sheen. Although I have long nails now, it's probably a colour that looks better on shorter nails but I still liked the colour. The brush makes applications really easy and I painted my nails in just two strokes! What I didn't like however, was that the colour chipped straight away. Granted I had only applied a very thin layer to my nails but as 071 Guilty Pleasure provided even coverage, I didn't think I needed to apply another layer. Unfortunately, as soon as I applied 071 Guilty Pleasure I chipped the thumb nail as I was too impatient to let it dry properly. After this it was a downward spiral and the remainder of the nails chipped relatively quickly afterwards. 071 Guilty Pleasure did dry quite quickly despite me chipping it straight away but unfortunately it will not become a firm favourite. Despite this though, I have finally found a gel nail varnish that doesn't chip or peel my nails although the colour doesn't last very long (despite stating 14 days on the bottle).


The Jack Wills Charcoal nail varnish however is a different story. Retailing at £4 for the duo pack from Boots, (I actually received it in a gift set for my birthday) it's a perfectly suitable nail varnish. The colour and the bottle is quite deceiving however as it looks like it should be a charcoal colour but when applied it has more of a lilac/grey tone to it. This colour difference didn't particularly bother me but I had wanted to apply a true grey colour rather than a shade. Unlike the 071 Guilty Pleasure nail varnish, the Jack Wills Charcoal nail varnish has stayed on my toes far longer and hasn't chipped yet! I realise that my hands are constantly busy and in water etc. and my toes are not but I also think it has something to do with the composition of the nail varnish. Overall, I really like the Jack Wills Charcoal nail varnish and I haven't tried it's counterpart in Crimson which I also received in the gift set. I haven't tried the 015 Boho-licious nail varnish yet either but hopefully I will get around to it and let you know my thoughts.

Let me know what you thought of this review and the colours in the comments below xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...