Saturday 8 July 2017

September Glossybox old box - Product Reviews

It's been a very long time since I last reviewed a Glossybox and while my life takes on new challenges and directions, now feels like the right time to clear things out and get rid of my stuff. I went on a cleaning spree splurge very recently and in an attempt to live more minimalistic, I've sold a lot of my things and donated quite a few bags of clothing, make-up, craft supplies, anything really to free up space in my house. Glossyboxes are no exception as I still have a few left over from my subscription that I never got around to reviewing when I received them. So without further ado, here are my thoughts on a September Glossybox many moons ago.

As I have a couple of left over Glossyboxes, I'm going to surmise that this was around the time that I started to lose interest in it as I was receiving a lot of products that I don't like or use (like mascara) or very samey boxes each month. I also figured that the £13 subscription could be better directed elsewhere (like into a savings account so as not to tempt me with more frivolous purchasing). Unfortunately there were two products that I won't be reviewing in this post which were the Hydro Face Mask and the Better Than Sex Mascara. I have very long eye-lashes as it is and put mascara on top of them makes them look spidery and weird. As for the Hydro Face Mask, I've used them before and I don't like them at all (see my December review here of a similar product). I always finds packet face masks to be too big for my face so they end up slipping off and they leave my face feeling wet and slimy. I have quite sensitive skin so engulfing my face in a thin sheet is my skins' worst nightmare as it merely aggravates my sensitive skin.

The items left in the box that I will review however are the Smokey Eye Pen by Rodial retailing at £17 (it's eyeliner!), GOSH Copenhagen Long Lasting Lip Marker in pink (retailing at a respectable £8.50) and Gel Envy Diamond Top Coat by Revlon which retails at £7.99. I'll start with the Gel Envy Diamond Top Coat by Revlon as my review will be relatively short for this product.


Despite the presentation of the nail varnish in a black bottle, I was mislead to believe that the nail varnish was in fact black. The silver holographic top also alluded to me that the contents of the bottle were dark. I didn't however pick up on the following words 'Diamond' and 'Top Coat' which in hindsight I now realise strongly hints at the colour inside. Although it's summer, I've neglected my make up samples so thought I would try the Gel Envy Diamond Top Coat by Revlon on my toes going for a deep black. When I applied the Gel Envy Diamond Top Coat by Revlon of course it was clear and I immediately realised my error. I'm not an advocate for gel nail varnish by any stretch of the imagination as they often leave my nails weak and brittle. The Gel Envy Diamond Top Coat by Revlon was especially bulky and cumbersome despite the fact I have a free-standing nail varnish holder to make applications easier. When I realised my error that the 'black nail varnish' was in fact a clear top coat, I tried to wipe it off straight away. The clear varnish did not dry instantly and I had inadvertently smudged it. When I tried to paint over the clear in a terracotta colour, the smudge was noticeable under the colour. I'm sure you could use the Gel Envy Diamond Top Coat by Revlon as a top coat for any nail varnish but I'll be gifting this item away unfortunately.


Next up is the Long Lasting Lip Marker by GOSH Copenhagen. If I'm entirely honest, this product scared me a little. I'd heard of lip crayons before but never lip markers and I had (wrongly) assumed that the marker would resemble something of a crayon. The GOSH Copenhagen Long Lasting Lip Marker that I received had a purple tip so I had assumed that would be the colour of the marker. When I applied it to my lips, it was essentially a giant felt-tip pen in bright pink that I then had to colour my lips with, cue anxious feelings about colouring my skin in with a felt-tip pen. The marker smell is quite pungent which only added to the image of a giant felt-tip pen. When applied the colour was a bright pink that dried to a rich pink colour usually associated with lip tints. Top marks to GOSH for creating a Long Lasting Lip Marker. I attempted to remove the colour from my lips using a make up wipe remover and although a lot of the colour did come off onto the wipe, there remained a noticeable pink hue upon my lips. Long Lasting Lip Marker is definitely long lasting and although I liked the colour the smell and idea of the marker puts me off slightly. It also left my lips feeling tingly at first (as if I'd applied Lipcote) which I'm not sure if it would have worn off had I left the colour on for longer.

Lastly, is one of my favourite eyeliners by far, the Smokey Eye Pen by Rodial. I'm not sure why it's called an eye pen as it is nothing more than eyeliner but I liked it all the same. The black kohl eyeliner glides onto the eye with ease and looks really striking. Like any good eyeliner the Rodial Smokey Eye Pen stays on all day with no colour transference. £17 is a bit steep for an eyeliner considering my usual SuperShock eyeliner by AVON does exactly the same and costs 99p! The Smokey Eye Pen is a definite keeper in my make up bag but I won't rush out to buy a replacement when it's used up.

Let me know what you thought of this Glossybox review. Did you have any favourite products? Let me know in the comments below xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...