Monday 16 January 2017

November Birchbox product review

If you're a regular reader of The Beauty Blog then you may be aware my previous experience with Birchbox cosmetic beauty boxes. I had an adverse reaction to a hair product and unfortunately my request for a refund was denied. I sworn then that I would never use them again but with particular products catching my eye or the box designs looking appealing, I've since caved and bought two more of their boxes. November's Birchbox is no different and I only really bought it because of the cool peacock design on the box. Needless to say the unusual slip case design of the box now houses all of my lipsticks, (purchased or samples so you can probably imagine how many is in that box).

First and foremost I used the NUXE Crème Prodigieuse which retails at £21. I was really excited to receive another NUXE product and couldn't wait to try this out. I'd previously received the NUXE Rêve de Miel Hand & Nail Cream and it leaves my hands feeling so soft, (for a small tube it's super pricey though and the moisturiser is no exception). Unfortunately, when I first applied this, my face began to tingle a little so it seems that this is something else I'm allergic to from the Birchbox. The write up on the NUXE Crème Prodigieuse seems perfect as it states that it will boost skin's antioxidant levels. I personally didn't notice a difference so I would need to persevere with this to see any change to my skin or complexion.

Next up I tried the Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow Illuminator which retails at £25.50 for a full sized bottle and was evidently a Birchbox exclusive for November. I was pleasantly surprised by Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow Illuminator as it goes onto the skin like false tan. I've used BB creams before and they're either a tinted moisturiser with a biscuit sort of colour to it, or, they're colourless moisturisers. I used this instead of foundation one day and found that there wasn't enough even coverage to get away with not using foundation. I think it's best to use this as a sort of make up base (potentially instead of your moisturiser) and then follow it through with a decent primer and then foundation. I liked the Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow Illuminator but I would have preferred it if I could wore just this instead of feeling slightly naked and having to use foundation on top. At £25.50 it was a little pricier than I would have liked.

Next up was the full-sized sample of the WET BRUSH which retails at £11.99 depending on the size. I'd never heard of WET BRUSH before but since receiving one they seem to be everywhere and they're advertised in the new Boots magazine as being available in a whole range of different sizes. Initially, I was less excited about receiving yet another detangling brush as I would usually swear by my Denman Tangle Teezer (which my review is available to read here) or the original Tangle Teezer. I could not be more wrong! I absolutely, 100% LOVE the WET BRUSH and it's even replaced my Tangle Teezer's which are a difficult shape to use and even my Denman Tangle Teezer! I never thought I would see the day! The brush that I received is small enough to fit in your handbag but large enough to be used comfortably. From past experience what I've found is the smaller the brush, the harder it is to use as the design becomes increasingly more restrictive (Birchbrush here's looking at you!) The bristles on the WET BRUSH are soft and flexible rather than the hard rigid plastic that most Tangle Teezer brushes use. The WET BRUSH has a flexible head so it moves with you when you get the brush stuck in a tat or knot rather than staying put like other brushes are known to do. I love that it came in purple (favourite colour don't you know) but it works wonders on wet hair. The write up states that you can use it on dry hair but I found that it got stuck in my knots. When used on wet hair however, the WET BRUSH glides through any tats and as a result, is really gentle on your head/scalp. I love this and would definitely recommend it!

In conjunction with the WET BRUSH I also received amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo sample size. The full size bottle retails at £20 (which I think is a bit steep given that the market leader Batiste retails at around £3.29 depending on size and retailer). I really liked the small handbag sized bottle which is perfect to slip into my bag for work. I also really liked the design on the pressurised can but that really does make very little difference. As dry shampoo's go, amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo does what it says on the tin. It cleaned my hair and instantly refreshed it. Unlike the product write up however, my hair was not volumised as promised. Unlike other dry shampoo products, amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo didn't leave any noticeable grey or white streaks in my hair when I applied it. Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo absorbed straight into my greasy roots and with such a sample bottle, instant top ups are made even easier. Perhaps then this is the reason for the hefty price tag in the fact that it doesn't leave noticeable streaks as dry shampoo often does. Although I liked the amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo, I wouldn't swap out my favoured Batiste Nude (sadly no longer available) for anything.


Last to try was the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer which retails at £15. Personally, I'm a sucker for Lipcote which works to seal your lipstick colour and retails at £2.99 depending on the stockist. £15 initially seemed a little steep, however, when I used the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer I can understand why it's priced so high. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer can be used as a lipgloss or to help seal your lipstick. I haven't tried Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer it to seal my colour. I have, however, tried it alone as a lipgloss and it's amazing. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer includes vitamin E, hemp and peppermint oils and as a result my lips were super soft after using it. I was unsure about Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer at first as Lip Tar made me think that it would be quite heavy and sticky. I found the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer quite sticky at first but once the stickiness disappears my lips were so smooth. I'm interested to try it as a lipstick primer although I'm not entirely sure how it would work. The Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer is quite wet at first so you would need to let it dry and then apply your lippie afterwards. I did, however, really like the Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Primer even if I didn't use it as directed.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this Birchbox. What were your favourite products? What did you dislike if anything? Let me know in the comments below xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...