Wednesday 2 March 2016

Four product lip liner and lipstick review

I went on a bit of a make up splurge recently and bought myself three new lip liners and a berry lipstick to jump on the vampy lip trend. I've been meaning to buy some lip liners for a while ever since I discovered the MUA caramel nougat lip liner is the perfect accompaniment to my Revlon nude lipstick. I spent a while in Boots colouring my hand in all shades of reds, pinks and purples to help me decide which ones to buy. Admittedly, I looked a little diseased when I went to pay with pink stripes all over my hand (which of course didn't go unnoticed by the sales assistant). After perusing all of the independent make up companies in Boots I eventually decided on the Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30, paired with a COLORsensational lip liner in Midnight Plum number 338, a No7 Precision lip liner in pink to compliment my Cherry Pop red Clinique lipstick and L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Couture Lip Liner Number 258 Berry Blush to compliment my favourite Rimmel London Moisture Renew lipstick in Lily Extase number 340. I've wanted to embrace last year's vampy lip trend for a while but never really had the time or funds to buy everything. I was really pleased with my £20 make up selection and couldn't wait to try them out.
                                 
                                                            
First up was the Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 (retailing at £5.49), paired with a COLORsensational lip liner in Midnight Plum number 338 retailing at around £3.99. The Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 had a nice creamy texture when I applied it to my hand unlike many of the other purple or plum lipsticks which were greasy and slippery. I was always told when I was younger that to get your perfect shade you should try it on your hand to see if the colour matches your skin tone. I've since learnt that this isn't an accurate method of trying new lipsticks out as the skin on your hand is different to that on your face (you might be more tanned on your hands for example). Ideally you're supposed to place the lipstick up to your lips so you can see if the colour compliments your face. You might look a bit odd doing this in the middle of Boots though and as I had a nude lip when I was trying out colours I couldn't do this little tip. I really liked the coloured sticker on the tube for the Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 and it looks purple when you push it up. I applied the COLORsensational lip liner in Midnight Plum number 338 first which was a bit trickier than my usual caramel nougat lip liner. You really have to take your time when applying a coloured lip liner and it took me a couple of attempts to get it perfect. Initially, I'd invariably drawn on the skin around my lip so the colours didn't quite match up at first. The COLORsensational lip liner in Midnight Plum number 338 turned out to be the perfect compliment to Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30. As for the lipstick I was unsure at first whether I liked it but after I wore it a few more times I really liked it. However, I managed to unwillingly pick up the same shade of lipstick that my mam wears which really brings out the red in her hair but it seemed to just wash me out at first. The Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 is more a reddy purple than a true plum colour which I was led to believe going off the sticker on the tube. It took a little bit of getting use to as the Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 is really quite dark. It looked a little too wine stained at first for my liking. I would strongly advise using this lipstick or similar shades with freshly whitened teeth. My teeth aren't exactly gross but nor are they shiny pearly whites so the Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 made my teeth look grey in comparison. I found that it depends on the shade of foundation as to how the lipstick compliments the skin tone and the more I wore it the more I liked the Rossetto Kate Moss lipstick. I've worn the Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 a few times now and I really like the colour of this lipstick. The rich plum colour lasts ages and it looks really striking on. I love the Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick in Rossetto Number 30 and the COLORsensational lip liner in Midnight Plum number 338 sets the colour off perfectly.

Next I tried the No7 Precision lip liner in fire paired with my favourite Rimmel London Moisture Renew lipstick in Lily Extase number 340. The lip liner is the perfect shade for to compliment my lipstick which I was really surprised with given that my lipstick is years old. I assumed that as the No7 Precision lip liner in fire was a precision liner it would be easier to apply to my lips. The lip liner is pointed at the tip to aid for precision but I actually found that it made it harder to apply. I somehow managed to miss a section of my lip when I applied it which was made more obvious by the strange outlined shape of my lip when I filled it in with the colour of the lipstick. The lip liner set the colour of the lipstick off and although it's fiddly to use at first I really liked the design of the lip liner. Unfortunately the two together didn't last very long after eating and drinking but when it was first on the lips both colours looked really bright and popping. I've previously reviewed my favourite lipstick which you can read about here so this review was more so focused on the No7 Precision lip liner in fire. Priced at £6.75 it's a perfect little lip liner the only downside is that it can't be sharpened.

Lastly, I tried the L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Couture Lip Liner Number 258, Berry Blush alongside my Elizabeth Arden Moisturising Lipstick in Bold Red 41 Matt. I went to a Gatsby themed party recently and I had all of my accessories planned including my lipstick and make up look. I had intended to use my Cherry Pop Red Clinique lipstick that night but I had unfortunately misplaced it. My back up plan was to use my Elizabeth Arden Moisturising Lipstick in Bold Red 41 Matt which you can read about here. I won't go into too much detail about the Elizabeth Arden Moisturising Lipstick in Bold Red 41 Matt but I was constantly reapplying it on the night. After drinks and food my lipstick slipped off and it was a constant battle to maintain the red colour. I had even blotted my lips together at the start of the night, applied the L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Couture Lip Liner Number 258, Berry Blush and applied Lipcote to seal the colour in. Although the lipstick seemed to stay put it wasn't as bright and popping as I would have liked. As a result of this constant slippage the L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Couture Lip Liner Number 258, Berry Blush wore off fairly quickly. Priced at £3.99 the L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Couture Lip Liner Number 258, Berry Blush was the most aesthetically pleasing with the pink snakeskin pattern on the pencil. Despite the bright pink pencil I was pleasantly surprised to find that the L'Oral Paris Colour Riche Couture Lip Liner Number 258, Berry Blush is the perfect compliment for my orangey red lipsticks. I've yet to try the L'Oreal Paris Colour Riche Couture Lip Liner Number 258, Berry Blush with my Cherry Pop red Clinique lipstick which I will do at some point and alter this review.

      

  
I really liked all three lip-liners but found that the COLORsensational lip liner in Midnight Plum number 338 went on much easier than the other two that I tried out. I have since found out that it is easier to apply lipliner by moving the head with the pencil rather than drawing an outline of my lips. My arms shake a lot and I find it much easier to move my head with the pencil rather than draw it in as I often miss sections of my lips doing it this way. Applying lip liner takes a bit of time and practice so it's best to apply it when you have a bit of time and not rushing around

Let me know what you thought of this multi-product review in the comments below xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...