Sunday 17 July 2016

My holiday essentials list

It's that time of year again when most of you may be jetting off somewhere new and hopefully somewhere warm. I've previously reviewed some of my favourite miniature items to take away that are allowed through security but now I've chosen to reveal the products and items that are in my suitcase. The items that I can't live without when I go abroad to a sunny climate.

Wide rimmed hats are all the rage this season but I prefer a more understated look with a patterned headband. Hats do two things for me, one, sweat my head and encourage heat spots on my head which then of course transfers to my hair and makes it greasy and two, covers your body with shade (especially if you're opting for those wide rimmed hats I mentioned). I have a Julian MacDonald headscarf that accompanies me on every trip. It's so much smaller than a hat and takes up no room in the case. As well as being a space saver my headscarf also doubles up as a marker for me to differentiate which one is my suitcase (on a carousel of 30 other plain black cases it's hard to tell) because I always tie my headscarf to my suitcase. Pro traveller tip right there until someone else buys the same headscarf/marker as you and then you have to guess which one is yours. I love headscarves because they're so light on the head and it doesn't over heat the head. The bonus is of course that you can double the headscarf up to a single piece of material or, wear it large like I do as one sheet of material. It might look a little odd if you have short hair but when I'm abroad I tie my hair back into a low hung ponytail which always exposes my parting. I've suffered the effects of sunstroke before and by covering my whole parting with the material I ensure that I don't become ill.
I have a small quilted golden pouch that carries my beauty essentials and they come with me whenever I go anywhere hot. In it I carry the following: Hawaiian Tropic Lip Gloss Island Berry UV protect with 25 SPF, ANEW Solar Advance eye and lip sunscreen SPF 30, Boots Extreme Sun Protection stick SPF 50 and Mark Hill Sun Protection Holiday Hair SPF 6. I refuse to live without those toiletries and they make a trip with me every time I leave. My beauty favourite is the ANEW Solar Advance eye and lip sunscreen SPF 30 by AVON. I think this was about £9 when I bought it but I'm not sure if it's available to buy anymore. The dual wand is great as it's small enough to fit in your inside beach bag pocket and it can be used to protect two sensitive areas on the face. I especially love the ANEW Solar Advance lip sunscreen SPF 30 as it goes on frosty looking pink. Although the ANEW Solar Advance lip sunscreen SPF 30 is a lip gloss, the 5ml tube is too small to have a wand inside of it. You apply the ANEW Solar Advance lip sunscreen SPF 30 by squeezing the tube and the colour comes out leaving the lips pink and quite sticky. Despite the sticky sensation of the ANEW Solar Advance lip sunscreen SPF 30 lasts for ages! The only downside with the ANEW Solar Advance lip sunscreen SPF 30 is that the 5ml tube gets used up fairly quickly. Unfortunately, I managed to use up my ANEW Solar Advance lip sunscreen SPF 30 side first with the ANEW Solar Advance eye sunscreen SPF 30 struggling to get used up. I do really like the ANEW Solar Advance eye and lip sunscreen SPF 30 it's just a shame that one side empties out quicker than the other. I love the idea of the ANEW Solar Advance eye and lip sunscreen SPF 30 because if you forget to apply sunscreen to your face, you have no excuse with the ANEW Solar Advance eye and lip sunscreen SPF 30 dual wand. The ANEW Solar Advance eye sunscreen SPF 30 is a white sunscreen which really helps to protect the skin from burning. This ingenious little wand is perfect for short trips abroad but you may need to buy a couple as the lipgloss tube runs out faster than the eye cream side.


Before I discovered the ANEW Solar Advance eye and lip sunscreen SPF 30 my go to SPF lipgloss was Hawaiian Tropic Lip Gloss Island Berry UV protect with 25 SPF. I use the Hawaiian Tropic Lip Gloss Island Berry UV protect with 25 SPF to give my lips a break from the sticky lipgloss of the ANEW Solar Advance lip sunscreen SPF 30 as it's a larger tube and lasts longer. The Hawaiian Tropic Lip Gloss Island Berry UV protect with 25 SPF is priced at around £7 and I cannot recommend it enough! The Hawaiian Tropic Lip Gloss Island Berry UV protect with 25 SPF smells delicious and it really does smell good enough to eat. The Hawaiian Tropic Lip Gloss Island Berry UV protect with 25 SPF leaves an obvious red gloss to the lips but as it works to hydrate the lips it's the perfect accompaniment in the hot sunshine. The bottle suggests that you are protected for 12 hours but I reapply it constantly throughout the day as I find that it slips from the lips quite easily. The Hawaiian Tropic Lip Gloss Island Berry UV protect with 25 SPF is a firm favourite of mine and I recommend it to everyone each time I use it!


I've learnt my lesson when it comes to staying sun safe. Years ago (when I was a lot younger than I am now) I fell asleep in Greece on a lilo in the pool when it was overcast one day. I thought I wouldn't burn or even tan what with the clouds covering the sky. How wrong I was and I managed to burn several layers off my nose. To this day my nose still peels even in the UK at quite low temperatures. Prevention of course is better than cure but as I didn't protect myself then I need to ensure my skin is sun safe now that I'm older. My friend gave me the Boots Extreme Sun Protection stick SPF 50 as it's usually used by skiers and winter-sportsmen so we figured it would help protect my ever peeling nose. My Boots Extreme Sun Protection stick SPF 50 is a little old and sand blasted now so I really need to buy another one as I'm not entirely sure how much protection it can offer me at this stage. That said when it was new and fresh (and sand free) the balm is like a giant lipbalm but for the face. It goes on the face white and is quite noticeable so you really need to rub it in. The Boots Extreme Sun Protection stick SPF 50 is quite sticky and hard to rub it in but I really like it! I really feel like it helps protect my skin. I usually apply the ANEW Solar Advance eye sunscreen SPF 30 to my eyelids and just under them (although be wary that when you sweat it does bleed into your eyes which is pretty painful), followed by the Boots Extreme Sun Protection stick SPF 50 across my nose and cheeks. My nose and cheeks are especially sensitive so they need the most protection and I always opt for a high SPF across these areas.

My sun savour is the Mark Hill Sun Protection Holiday Hair SPF 6 serum which I work into my hair. As I've previously said I'm a huge fan of the wide bandana as I've burnt my parting and scalp too many times to count. When I was younger I used to suffer terribly from sun stroke because I chose not to wear my peaked caps. I know better now but instead opt for a bandana so I can still get some sunshine on my face rather than blocking it with the shadow of a cap. My Mark Hill Sun Protection Holiday Hair SPF 6 serum is probably a little old and in need of replacement but it takes a while to use. I bought the Mark Hill Sun Protection Holiday Hair SPF 6 serum and the Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun Protection Spray SPF 6 75ml but I actually prefer the serum. I always found that the Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun Protection Spray SPF 6 75ml left my hair wet and tatty but when I use the Mark Hill Sun Protection Holiday Hair SPF 6 serum instead, my hair feels soft and glossy. I pump the tube a couple of times and work it into my roots and along the strands of my hair. I always cover my hair with my bandana but I always apply Mark Hill Sun Protection Holiday Hair SPF 6 serum beforehand as a measure of added protection. The Mark Hill Sun Protection Holiday Hair SPF 6 serum is around £7 but it looks like it's out of stock on the Boots website so I'm not sure if you can still buy it.

Last but not least is a product I've recently rediscovered after some time and I absolutely love it. My hair is quite thick which means that it's often quite frizzy even without humid conditions. Add thick curly hair to hot humid weather and you get my saving grace Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun, Sea, Frizz-Free Anti Humidity Spray. Unfortunately for me I had decided to start using it in the UK and had decided to buy a full-sized bottle but it's no longer available. The Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun, Sea, Frizz-Free Anti Humidity Spray previously retailed at £5.99 for 150ml. I cannot stress enough how much of a miracle product Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun, Sea, Frizz-Free Anti Humidity Spray is and I'm so disappointed that it's no longer available anymore. Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun, Sea, Frizz-Free Anti Humidity Spray is essentially a hair spray as it comes out as a fine mist and has a potent smell like hair spray. It works to tame fly-away hairs (much like any hairspray) but I've never found the same effect on other hairsprays. I usually apply Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun, Sea, Frizz-Free Anti Humidity Spray to wet hair and when it dries the fly-away hairs are subsequently less. After sleeping on my hair (which I always sleep with my hair down) it becomes a little more frizzier when I wake so Mark Hill Holiday Hair Sun, Sea, Frizz-Free Anti Humidity Spray is great for spritzing once you've brushed your hair out. I only have a small 100ml can left which I might have to ration until I can find an equivalent product.


I don't travel anywhere without my four holiday essentials. Which products do you take with you? I'd love to hear some recommendations so please let me know in the comments below xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...