Sunday 5 June 2016

May's Glossybox Glossy Getaways product review

Apart from the Revlon Mascara in May's Glossybox (which I won't try out) I was thrilled with the items in this month's box. Even more so because I redeemed all my survey points and the box was free! As well as a freebie month I also received a freebie notepad as a thank you for subscribing for a year, a packet of lightly sea salted proper corn AND a £2 off coupon to redeem at Superdrug. Glossybox you've done well I must say! It's a shame that I don't use mascara as the new REVLON Ultimate All-in-one is in a really unusual bottle which is quite large and flat. If I used mascara I would try it out purely for the novelty of the packaging but as my eyelashes go all spidery and wirey looking when I use mascara I won't review this product.


The theme in May's Glossybox is city scapes with three designs to adorn the front of the box. My Glossybox design was Berlin (a place I'm looking forward to going to in a few months time). May's Glossybox was packed full of goodies including the ever important SPF 30 Hawaiian Tropic Satin Protection to accompany me into the garden, assuming the hot weather lasts of course. It's a well-put together box this month with all the toiletries and make up goodies under the required 100ml liquid allowance when travelling abroad, in keeping with the travel and city break theme.


First up I tried the Velvet Lippie Buttery Matte Lip Cream by Absolute New York in Lolita. When I was younger, (and first learning about make up), I used to wear lip gloss all the time. Now, however, I prefer lipsticks. The Velvet Lippie Buttery Matte Lip Cream by Absolute New York in Lolita was a little strange at first and had a rather odd lump of lip gloss that sat on top my lips before the brush rubbed it in. I love the texture of the Velvet Lippie Buttery Matte Lip Cream by Absolute New York in Lolita and it made my lips felt so smooth and soft. The colour is the perfect pale pink shade for my skin tone and it actually reminds me of my former favourite lip gloss (for those who know me know it will be AVON). The style of the bottle, the feel on the lips and even the shade is very similar to Avon Color Trend Read My Lips Lip gloss in Angel which provided a frosted pink look to the lips and was my all time favourite for years.



Next up I used the SPF 30 Hawaiian Tropic Satin Protect when I was sun-bathing in the back garden (in sunny Britain for a change). I don't usually use such a high factor on my body (shame I know) and I prefer instead to use 15-20 SPF instead. I use high factors on my face, lips and ears particularly SPF 50 on my nose (an area I've previously burnt badly before). The SPF 30 Hawaiian Tropic Satin Protect is very thick compared to other sun creams that I usually use. It took a while to rub the SPF 30 Hawaiian Tropic Satin Protect in to the skin and I had to wash my hands afterwards as my hands felt very greasy. That said though I didn't burn at all when I was sunbathing so Hawaiian Tropic succeeded in protecting my skin and with protection from UVA and UVB rays it does just that! I'm a big fan of Hawaiian Tropic (which I plan to do a holiday's essential post soon with one of my favourite Hawaiian Tropic products). Depending on the retailer the full-sized bottle can range from as little as £4.99 to £13.99 if you purchase it direct from the Hawaiian Tropic website.

I was excited to try the Bee Good Youth Enhancing Firming Moisturiser as it had won beauty product of the year in 2015. Unlike other bee venom  or honey infused products I've used in the past I was surprised to find that the moisturiser is white and not yellow as I am normally more familiar with. Retailing at £23.50 it has numerous 5 star reviews on the Bee Good website. Quite cleverly in this month's Glossybox we received the small 15ml travel size version of Bee Good Youth Enhancing Firming Moisturiser (a theme of this month's box that all the products are small enough for the liquid allowance to take in your hand luggage). I really liked the cute packaging of the tube even more so that the Bee Good Youth Enhancing Firming Moisturiser is supposedly made by British bees (although how they can be entirely sure of that I don't know). I use the Bee Good Youth Enhancing Firming Moisturiser after cleansing and I really like the moisturiser. I apply a small amount and rub it in to my skin and it sinks in really quickly. Infused with honey and raspberry seed oil it smells heavenly. Bee Good claim that the Bee Good Youth Enhancing Firming Moisturiser instantly plumps and firms the skin whilst improving the appearance of visible lines. I can't really attest this claim because let's face it, I'm young and I don't have those noticeable problems just yet. I liked the smooth consistency of the Bee Good Youth Enhancing Firming Moisturiser and if nothing else it smells incredible.


Last up in May's goody bag was the Centaphil Gentle Cleanser (which also came with a £2 off coupon to redeem at Superdrug throughout 2016). I've never used Centaphil products before especially not to remove make-up. I usually prefer to use make-up wipes as they're a quick and easy product to remove make-up. To my surprise I really liked the Centaphil Gentle Cleanser, to which it is very gentle on the skin, perfect for sensitive skin. The Centaphil Gentle Cleanser has a sort of clinical/clean smell to it but it isn't off-putting. When I first started using the Centaphil Gentle Cleanser I squeezed the bottle onto a cotton pad and the whole lot came out and drowned the pad! Luckily it was pretty easy to put back into the bottle but it was a bit annoying at first. I've since learned however that a little goes a long way and you just need to give the bottle the smallest of squeezes. The liquid comes out quite foamy and clear so it's hard to tell how much you've actually applied onto the cotton pad. I liked the Centaphil Gentle Cleanser as it really worked to clean my face and removed all of my make-up including my sometimes stubborn eyeliner! I've recently trialled a micellar cleansing oil which I love (sadly as it was a tester I wasn't given the name of the company so I can't review it) and I've found that when using the micellar water I go through about 4 cotton pads per application. The Centaphil Gentle Cleanser however, I seem to use 6 or 7 cotton pads so it takes a little while to properly remove all of your make up, a bummer if you're doing it late at night when you're tired. I liked the Centaphil Gentle Cleanser but I still prefer make-up cleansing wipes as they're so much quicker to remove make-up.



I absolutely loved May's Glossybox and I can't wait for June's Glossybox which should be arriving soon! I'd love to know what you thought of the products. Do you have a favourite in May's Glossybox? Let me know in the comments below xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...