Tuesday 16 February 2016

Autumn Spell October Glossybox review

I was really disappointed with the Autumn Glossybox as not only did it come with products I've never heard of (a highlighting pencil and a blending sponge) but it came with mascara. I don't use mascara and this is the third time Glossybox have included mascara. I contacted the company because each box is meant to be tailored to you. As I've previously explained you answer a questionnaire before you receive your first box and this is supposed to cater the products to you. I was told by Glossybox that they would pass on my review to the relevant people who pack the boxes but because they're generic they can't tailor the boxes to each individual. Of course I understand this but given that I specified that I do not use mascara it's frustrating that this is the months' product that every box had to receive. A full-sized  Jelly Pong Pong Fairy Lashes Curl mascara is priced at £17.95 and it's a product I won't be reviewing.

Like the September Glossybox it took me a while to use this box. I just don't use this array of products so I really had to push myself out of my comfort zone. I've had a few poor Glossyboxes so I am seriously considering stopping my subscription as there's always a few products that I'm disappointed it. Of course this is bound to happen and I won't be happy with nor use all the products that come in the box but it seems to be more and more frequent that this is happening each month. This was especially true with the Nicka K Airbrush Blending Sponge which was surprisingly heavy and cumbersome to use. I had expected that with it being a sponge it would be light and airy but it was really difficult to use. I tried to use the Nicka K Airbrush Blending Sponge on my face after applying foundation but found it really hard and that it hurt my face using it. For £6.50 I expected a much better product than this small and unusual product. Unfortunately, I won't be reusing the Nicka K Airbrush Blending Sponge.


Next up I tried the Talika Photo-Hydra Day which retails at £24.85. I used this on the face first then followed by serum. The OLAY moisturiser that I usually use doubles up as a primer and a moisturiser so I was essentially testing whether or not the Talika Photo-Hydra Day would serve a multi-purpose. Surprisingly, the Talika Photo-Hydra Day does work well as a primer and my make up lasted just as long when using it. I hasten to add if you exercise during the day you will sweat the make up so of course the Talika Photo-Hydra Day doesn't prevent this but usual day wear ensures that your make up is kept in place. A little goes a long way with the Talika Photo-Hydra Day because otherwise the liquid feels really greasy when you apply it to the skin. It's quite surprising that the Talika Photo-Hydra Day feels greasy if you apply too much as the solution itself feels very weak and watery. It almost seems like the bottle itself restricts how much you can apply to the face as it seems to release the moisturiser in small spurts which is enough to cover the face. I liked the Talika Photo-Hydra Day but it won't replace my usual OLAY moisturiser.


One of my all time favourite products is the Lanolips 101 Ointment which retails at £7.99 and is an absolute miracle worker. I have previously reviewed the Lanolips 101 ointment which you can read about it here whereby I used it to treat burnt skin. For such a small tube it is an absolute godsend as it can be used to treat anything from insect bites, chapped or burnt skin and probably even dry skin. I loved the Lanolips 101 Ointment because the results are almost immediate and it really works to soothe skin troubles. This is a definite re-buy for me and a beauty essential for every hand bag.
It's taken me a while to post this review because I received a So Susan Haute Light Highlighting Pencil in the October Glossybox. I've already said in a previous review that I didn't jump on the highlighting and contouring trend partly because I don't understand it. I tried the So Susan Haute Light Highlighting Pencil out alongside the So Susan Statement Skin Highlighter Pencil and both are supposed to be used along the cupids' brow and along the nose to highlight the skin. The So Susan Haute Light Highlighting Pencil can also be used along the inner rim of the eyes to make them pop and to help colour stick to the lids. I disliked the So Susan Haute Light Highlighting Pencil because I found it quite hard to colour the lid in. The So Susan Haute Light Highlighting Pencil isn't as soft as the So Susan Statement Skin Highlighter Pencil so it makes it difficult to blend onto the skin. At £15 I don't think it's worth the price and I don't believe it did much to highlight my skin. I used the So Susan Haute Light Highlighting Pencil as a primer for my eyeshadow but my MUA eyeshadow didn't last all day. The colour stayed in the corners of my eyes but unfortunately slid off from my eyelids. I wasn't a fan of this So Susan Haute Light Highlighting Pencil and won't be using it again.

It's taken me about 5 months to use all of the products in October's Glossybox and I wasn't taken with all of them. There were two definite products that I loved and use on a regular basis but unfortunately this was a disappointing box for me. Let me know what you thought of October's Glossybox in the comments below xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Advance Techniques Dry Shampoo Refresh by AVON product review

I have tried several dry shampoo products over the years which I have reviewed on this blog. My favourite is the Batiste Nude dry shampoo po...